Doi Potol (Dahi Parwal) - Popular Bengali Vegetarian Dish
Hungry Tummy channel
"Doi Potol" or "Dahi Parwal" is a very famous Bengali dish.It is very easy to prepare with simple and commonly available spices. It has a salty, tangy and hint of sweet taste.It goes well with steamed rice.
- Bay leaf-- 2
- Star annies (optinal)
- Ginger paste -- 1/2 tsp
- Garlic paste -- 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri red chilli pawder --1 tsp
- Refined oil -- 4-5 tbsp.(3-4 tbsp for frying and 1 tbsp for cooking)
- Green chilli paste -- 1/2 tsp
- Potol/Parwal/ Pointed gourds -- 300gms
- Cardamom -- 2-3
- Cloves --2-3 pods
- Salt to taste
- Onion paste -- 2 tbsp
- Sugar --1 tsp
- Tumeric powder- 1 tsp
- Doi/curd/ Yogurt -- 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon stick --1 inch
- Clean and peel the potol/parwal and slit from all sides. Marinate them with some salt and tumeric powder.
- Heat 4-5 tbsp of oil in a frying pan and fry the potol light golden brown. Drain oil and keep them aside.
- Take another pan and heat 1 tbsp oil.
- Then add Cloves- 3-4 pods
- Cardamon- 3
- Cinnamon - 1 inch
- Star annies (Optional)
- Bay leaf - 2
- Fry for few seconds.
- Add 2 tbsp onion paste. Stir well for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add 1 tsp of ginger paste.
- 1 tsp of Garlic paste.
- 1 tsp of green chilli paste.
- Stir all together for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Now add 1/2 tsp of tumeric powder.
- 1/2 tsp of kashmiri red chilli powder
- Salt according to your taste.
- Keep cooking for 2 minutes on low to medium flame.
- Now add 1/2 cup plain curd + 1 tsp of sugar and stir continuously.
- After that cover it with lid and cook for 5 minutes on low to medium flame.
- After 5 minutes, all ingredients are cooked well.
- At this point, add fried potol/parwal/pointed gourd and stir.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and cook for another 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Oil is oozing from the side.Gravy becomes thickened.
- Now the potol become soft and coated well with the gravy.
- To enhance the flavour, add 1 tbsp of curd (Optional)
- Turn off the flame and serve with steamed rice/pulao/ paratha.
Enjoy your meal!
Doi Potol, Dahi Parwal, Doi Potol Recipe, Pointed Gourd in thick Curd Gravy, Populer Bengali Doi Potol, Bengali Vegiterian Recipe,