TOMATO SOUP - How to make TOMATO BASIL SOUP Recipe
"SOUPS ON" An American favorite...TOMATO BASIL SOUP, also known as TOMATO SOUP (just leave out the basil). Loaded with freshness and healthy for YOU!! Perfect with a grilled cheese sandwich or all by itself...you're gonna love this one!! Click on "SHOW MORE" below recipe...
TOMATO BASIL SOUP:
- 1 cup freshly washed basil leaves (about 16), thinly sliced
- 2 cups chicken stock (may use vegetable stock)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 (28-ounce) can Tomatoes, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy sauce pan, over medium-high heat, add stock, crushed tomatoes and tomato juice. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes...stirring every 10 minutes.
- Add fresh basil to cooked tomato mixture and stir. Remove from heat. Blend small batches at a time, until smooth, in food processor (blender maybe used).
- Return tomato/basil mixture back to pan. Whisk in half & half, butter, salt and pepper until smooth. Heat for 10 minutes over medium-low heat. Serve.
TIPS: Store soup in refrigerator in airtight container (I like to use mason jars) for up to 3 days.