MINESTRONE SOUP | ITALIAN VEGETARIAN STYLE | Healthy Recipe
MINESTRONE SOUP...loaded with fresh vegetables & pasta!! A healthy homemade tasty soup for these chilly Winter days, or NOT!! Garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese, chopped Italian parsley, and serve with warm rustic bread to make a perfect comfort meal!! CUDDLE UP!! Recipe below by clicking on SHOW MORE...
- pinch of Red Crushed Peppers
- 1 cup water, extra for thinning soup, if need
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup fresh zucchini, seeded removed & cubed
- 1 cup fresh cabbage, chopped
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, crushed, diced, or chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 (oz) prosciutto, diced (omit for vegetarian soup version)
- 2-4 (ounces) Chard, Baby Kale, Spinach, roughly chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth (use vegetable broth/stock for vegetarian soup version)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup small elbow pasta
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large Dutch oven, or heavy bottom pan, over medium-high heat; add 1 tablespoon olive oil, onion, carrots, and celery. Sweat for 5 minutes.
- Add prosciutto. Cook an additional 1 minutes.
- Add garlic. Stir several times.
- Add cabbage and zucchini. Cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, water, salt, oregano, thyme, and pinch of red crushed pepper. Stir. Bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes. Turn down heat to simmer. Cover. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Bring back to boil. Add pasta (cook according to pasta package directions) with the greens. Add extra water if soup becomes too thick.
- Remove MINESTRONE SOUP from heat. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Garish with freshly grated parmesan cheese, chopped Italian parsley, and rustic warm bread before serving.
TIPS: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator, or freeze up to 2 months.
ENJOY your MINESTRONE SOUP, your way, always!!