Baked EGGPLANT PARMESAN DISH - How to make irresistible EGGPLANT PARMESAN Recipe
Absolutely irresistible...sautéed fresh eggplant smothered in a simply homemade fire roasted tomato sauce that's baked to perfection. I didn't grow up in an Italian family...but I sure love making their recipes that have been past down generation after generation. Not sure if Italians used fire roasted tomatoes in their cooking...if you know...please leave a comment to let us know!! Bunches of thanks in advance!!
aked EGGPLANT PARMESAN
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1 1/2 lb. eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch rings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 -14.5 oz. can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes, diced
- 2 -8 oz. cans of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- 2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
- pinch crushed red pepper
- In a medium mixing bowl add 3 cups cold water and 2-3 tablespoons of salt. Add eggplant rings. Submerge eggplant rings into salt water for 20 minutes. Add a small plate on top of eggplant, with heavy object, to keep eggplant submerged. After 20 minutes pour off water. Rinse eggplant in fresh water, several times, and dry on water towels.
- In a 12 inch skillet. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, onions and garlic. Sautee on low heat for 5-8 minutes.
- In a 2 1/2 quart sauce pan. Add fire roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, sautéed onions and garlic, oregano, crust red pepper, salt and black pepper. Cook on medium low heat for 20 minutes.
- In 12-inch skillet, over medium heat, add 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Lightly coat each eggplant ring with flour. Add to hot skillet and cook on both sides until golden brown.
- In a 13 by 9 inch, lightly oiled, baking pan. Evenly add 1 cup of fire roasted tomato sauce to the bottom of baking pan. Add golden brown eggplant rings on top of tomato sauce in a single layer.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese on top of each eggplant ring. Evenly spoon remaining fire roasted tomato sauce evenly over mozzarella cheese. Top with 1/2 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese, optional.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
Serve with a crispy green garden salad.