Rhubarb and Banana Cake - an easy recipe tutorial
This is a really easy cake to make and requires very little effort on your part.
Great if you have over ripe bananas but you could use apple sauce instead if you like.
Give it a go! You'll get a nice robust cake (this is not a super light batter - be warned) but it's moist and great because to contrast the sweetness of the banana and sugar, you get the tang of rhubarb.
You will need:
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 sticks of rhubarb chopped or 1 cup (fresh not tinned/frozen - remove outer skin and chop)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 tspn nutmeg
- Self raising flour (or plain/all purpose with 1 tspn baking powder)
- 2 bananas (1 1/2 mashed & 1/2 sliced)
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 oil
- Mix ingredients 1-3 with a whisk
- In a separate bowl, mix ingredients 4-7
- Then combine both - do not over mix
- Add the rhubarb and mashed banana and stir (add slice banana to the top before baking if desired)
- Bake at 180 until cooked - 20-25 mins for muffins - 30-35 mins for mini loaves - 40-60 mins for large cake (6-8 inch tin)