FRIED OKRA in 3 minutes - Learn how to FRY OKRA Recipe Demonstation
Perfectly FRIED OKRA to kick off the Fall Season!! Deronda demonstrates her original homemade FRIED OKRA recipe!! Tender OKRA slices with a golden crunch coating!! ADDICTIVE!! Never disappoints!!
16- ounce package of fresh Okra Pods, rinsed, dried, and slices into 1/4" to 1/2" pieces. Set aside.
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Vegetable oil for frying (Canola or Peanut oil maybe used)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup whole buttermilk or milk
- In a medium mixing bowl; add buttermilk, egg & water. Whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- Add cornmeal, flour, salt, & pepper to a 1-gallon plastic bag. Shake until dry ingredients are well blended. Set aside.
- Submerge sliced Okra into buttermilk mixture. Soak for 5 minutes.
- With slotted spoon remove 8-10 slices of okra, at a time, until well drain. Add okra pieces into cornmeal mixture. Shake until okra is well coated. Transfer okra to cooling rack. Continue until all the okra is coated.
- In a 12"-skillet, over medium-heat, add vegetable oil until 1/2" deep. Heat oil to 375 degrees F. (If OKRA is frying too fast, remove your skillet off the heat & reduce heat to medium-low). An electric skillet or deep-fryer maybe used. Add 1 piece of coated okra to oil. If oil sizzles around the edges of okra continue to add okra. Be sure not to over crowd your okra. Fry okra until golden in color.
- Drain fried Okra on paper towels.
- Serve warm. Add your favorite dip(s), if you wish!!
TIPS: Keep FRIED OKRA warm in an 175 degrees F. oven for up to 30 minutes.