Old Fashioned CHEESE STRAWS - How to make CHEESE STRAWS recipe
Fun for everyone...CHEESE STRAWS. A light and cheesy baked cracker to snack on, travel with or serve at a special occasion. Click on "Show more" below to get recipe...
1 tablespoon whipping cream or milk (to brush top of dough)
In a medium mixing bowl add...
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cheddar or gruyere cheese, freshly grated
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- Blend these 4 ingredients well together. Add..
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- Mix into a smooth paste like texture.
- Knead cheese straw dough for 10 minutes on floured surface...add flour, a little at a time,
- to dough and surface when dough begins to stick.
- Roll out dough about 1/4 inch thick. Cover and chill for 1 hour, or more, in refrigerator.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and lighly brush top of dough with whipping cream or milk. Using pizza cuter or knife...cute dough into strips...about 1" by 1/2 " in size. If not using a non-stick baking pan or parchment paper...lightly grease baking pan before adding cheese straws.
- Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Depending on thickness and size of strips these cheese straws may take a longer or shorter time to bake.
- Cool on baking rack.
TIPS: Store in an airtight container. Freezes well up to 3 months.