CANDIED SWEET POTATOES or YAMS | Old-Fashioned STYLE | DIY Beginners
Old-Fashioned CANDIED SWEET POTATOES or YAMS...baked in pure maple syrup, brown sugar, butter and spices!! A prepare side dish for your Holiday meal. Recipe below...
CANDIED SWEET POTATOES or YUMS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Lightly grease a 13" by 9" Baking Dish or 2-quart Dutch oven. Set aside.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5-6 medium sweet potatoes of yams (3-4 pounds) peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch thick round slices.
- 1/2 cup (1-stick) unsalted or salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2-3 cups marshmallows, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Add sweet potatoes or yams into prepared baking dish.
- In a 2-quart sauce pan, over medium-heat, add butter, brown sugar, water, maple syrup, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, and salt. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium-low. Boil 2 minute without stirring. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture over prepared slice sweet potatoes or yams. Gentle coat.
- Bake on middle oven rack for 20 minutes. Stir. Cover. Bake an additional 20 minutes. Stir. Cover. Bake the last 20 minute or until fork tender.
- Add marshmallow in an evenly single layer over candied sweet potatoes or yams. Return to oven and bake an additional 5-10 minutes. Optional.
- Cool 15-20 minutes before serving to allow syrup to slightly thicken over sweet potatoes/yams.
TIPS: Prepare the day before. Cool, cover, and chill in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature for 1 hour. Heat, covered, in preheated 350 degrees F. oven for 20-30 minutes.
~~~ENJOY your CANDIED SWEET POTATOES OR YAMS~~~