SLOPPY JOES - How to make easy HEALTHY SLOPPY JOE Recipe
An American favorite, 20th century, hot sandwich made healthier for YOU...THE SLOPPY JOE!! Deronda demonstrates how to use ground turkey meat in place of ground beef for this mouthwatering sandwich. GO HEALTHIER... by use this Sloppy Joe mixture in lettuce wraps with thinly slice green onions and carrots!! You're taste buds & waistline will thank you!!
- 1 cup green bell peppers, diced
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, your favorite brand
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 Hamberger Buns, sliced
- 1 lb. lean turkey meat, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup red onions, diced
- In a large skillet over, medium-high, heat cook turkey, onions and peppers for 8 - 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and turkey is no longer pink, breaking up turkey into crumbles with wooden spoon or spatular.
- Stir in seasonings, BBQ sauce and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook an additional 10 minutes uncovered.
- Remove skillet from heat.
For a classic SLOPPY JOE...Serve on sliced hamberger buns or your favorite choice of bread. Sloppy Joe mixture maybe served as a dip topped with shredded cheese and sliced green onions. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips or corn chips.
The healthiest way to serve this SLOPPY JOE mixture is in lettuce wraps topped with sliced green onions and carrots!! Fresh and delicious!! You'll not be disappointed!!